Re: <math>, <fig>, ... (fwd)

MegaZone writes in <199605101016.DAA04606@server.livingston.com>:
[...]
>Because the instant you put it in the standard DTD you have de facto put
>it in concrete.  If it later turns out during development that the
>documented method is lame, you are stuck - you have to leave it in, at
>least for a while, as a legacy implimentation.
>
>And that is pure evil.
>
><MATH> is not dead - math is still gestating as is yet to be born.
>
><FIG> was a miscarriage.

Well said.  Unfortunately, HTML 3.0 was just too large (IMHO) to be
processed fast enough to become a standard.  HTML 3.2 should go along much
faster, esp. as the (apparent) plan is for it to be an informational RFC,
not a standards-track RFC.

We are getting there, people -- it is just taking awhile.
Mark Leighton Fisher                   Thomson Consumer Electronics
fisherm@indy.tce.com                   Indianapolis, IN