Re: HTML 3.2 Content Models

Dianne Gorman <dkgsoft@oznet02.ozemail.com.au> writes:
>I have constructed hierarchical trees of the content models in the
>html 3.2 dtd.
>http://www.ozemail.com.au/~dkgsoft/html/  if you are interested.
>
>These are done by hand, so be gentle if you find errors.

Dianne,

There are tools to do this without errors. If you're interested, I maintain
an online document that catalogs DTDs in browseable format. HTML 3.2 is
available currently, and I will (on finding the time) also build the DTD
comparison documents (all compliments to Earl Hood on the perl tools...).

The page is at

    http://www.stonehand.com/doc/

>PLAINTEXT appears to be an orphan - it is in the preformatted text
>section of the DTD, but it doesn't seem to be in the content models
>anywhere

PLAINTEXT is an anomaly, given that its intended usage is not
SGML-conformant. Basically, everything after <PLAINTEXT> was not to be
parsed as SGML content. This invalidates any document, given that there
cannot then be any closing BODY or HTML tags. I think we deal with it
internally in our DTDs by keeping its allowed usage outside of BODY, but
I'd have to check. If there are levels of deprecation, this one rates about
a ten.

Murray

     Murray Altheim, Program Manager
     Spyglass, Inc., Cambridge, Massachusetts
     email: <mailto:murray@spyglass.com>
     http:  <http://www.stonehand.com/murray/murray.html>
            "Give a monkey the tools and he'll eventually build a typewriter."