Re: Frames - does anyone like them?

At 4:45p +0100 08/21/96, Abigail wrote:
>David Perrell wrote:
>>
>[Frames]
>
>> I like them better than not. When used with a graphical
>> index/contents list of fixed size, they can make a site more easily
>> navigable, and they're handy with JavaScript for maintaining control
>> of the window.
>
>I guess that is one of the reasons many people dislike frames.

And one of the reasons that neither of my 2 frame-enabled pages function
in that manner. My Walter's Web page does 'target="_parent"' in all its
links, so it works more like a "normal" page; and my new AppleScript OSAX
page <http://www.natural-innovations.com/as/osaxref.html> only fills the
main frame with its own categories and nothing else. (Uh, it's not quite
finished yet; only the System category has a valid link right now, but
it's enough to give the general idea anyway.)

As for navigation, I wrote a Perl script (PopCat-URL.cgi) to let people
go "up" my site's virtual hierarchy via a popup menu at the bottom of
each page (which I recently updated to log its own usage, thanks to a
little guidance from Mark Fisher...:-)

-Walter