Re: Frames - does anyone like them?

David Perrel wrote:

>Apparently not here.

<g>

>I like them better than not. When used with a graphical
>index/contents list of fixed size, they can make a site more easily
>navigable, and they're handy with JavaScript for maintaining control
>of the window.

I disagree  in that navigation is actually more difficult to a user. I
agree on your later statement that they're not usually "well-implemented".
Navigation can be confusing and bewildering to users. We've performed a
focus group for a frames site and had many complaints from new users...

Finally, it's the whole world of shrinking windows. I recently read an
article in HOW (ugh) that went on and on about a site with a NEW concept in
keeping people at their site, even when visiting links to other sites. What
happens when you visit a site with frames?

Give me a WYSIWYG structure to the web and I'll give you frames that could
work and be of use. Someone needs to change the paradigm or stick to
information encodding forms of markup...sigh...

>Banner is simply a more restrictive tiled frame. Am I unusual in
>disliking calls for restrictions?

No. Your quest for more control is to be understood, and frankly, I think
it's wrong to flame such requests. We ALL would probably enjoy a system
where more control was available to the author (okay, probably none of the
hard core purists...<g>) but HTML is not such a system.

Sean <DREAMING>of getting a life one day that doesn't involve hiding my
online time from the wife</DREAMING>