RE: HTML 3: Too many tags! (was re: Psychology and usefulness)

From: Steve Graham <sdgraham@interramp.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 09:22:53 -0400
To: "'Mike Batchelor'" <mikebat@clark.net>

>>Well, <Q> is a text level markup, like <I> and <B>.  It is suggested that
>>text within <Q></Q> be rendered enclosed with quotation marks, or other
>>punctuation appropriate to the language.  <BQ> is used to indicate a
>>quoted passage of text is enclosed.  The two are quite different, and I
>>think <Q> should stay in, so that on your German browser, the quotations
>>would be rendered as the double-greater-than/double-less-than marks (what are those called) and on >>English browsers, as "".

1, They are called "Left-Pointing Double Angle Quotation Mark" and "Right-Pointing Double Angle Quotation Mark"

2, Moreover, there's no agreement on which is the "opening" or "closing" mark ... not even in the same language. (and the ISO definition is no help)

(I make no value judgment as the relative quality of the brew itself)

Steve Graham
The Associated Press