Re: Psychology and usefulness

From: Maurizio Codogno <mau@beatles.cselt.stet.it>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 17:41:53 +0200
To: mikebat@clark.net
Cc: www-html@www10.w3.org
% I don't know if SGML supports the concept, but couldn't certain throwback
% tags like <i> and <b> be interpreted in the new standard as aliases for
% <em> and <strong>, with the goal of deprecating them in a future standard?

But people sometimes just need to specify that they want <i>, disregarding
what the browser believes is better.

If it were for me, I'd just add a one- or two-letter synonym for <STRONG>,
like <S> or <ST> . I notice I have no problem in writing <EM>, after
all it is just one character more than <I>!

.mau.