Re: Case Sensitivity in LINK REL/REV

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 14:38:12 -0400 (EDT)
To: bsittler@prism.nmt.edu (Benjamin C. W. Sittler)
Cc: www-html@www10.w3.org

> Are the line REV and REL attributes case-sensitive? i.e., is <LINK
> REL=ToC> any different than <LINK REL=toc>? Also, what about the TITLE
> attribute?

According to the March DTD [1] REV and REL are NAME attributes:

	<!ENTITY % linkType "NAME"

	rel %linkType #IMPLIED -- forward relationship type --
        rev %linkType #IMPLIED -- reversed relationship type

So how they are treated with respect to case is determined by
the HTML SGML Declaration[2].  The SGML Declaration says:

                 NAMECASE GENERAL YES

which means that in the HTML DTD, upper case versions of letters are
converted to their lower case version before processing.

> I would assume case would be preserved for that... is this
> correct?

The TITLE attribute is CDATA.  Case is preserved in CDATA attributes.

On a related note, there are lots of people on the Web with questions like
this that do not konw how to read a DTD.  Is there an introductionry
text online?

 Paul Prescod

[1]http://www.hpl.hp.co.uk/people/dsr/html/html3.dtd
[2]http://www.hpl.hp.co.uk/people/dsr/html/sgmldecl.dtd