Re: Suppress scroll bars - an idea

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 1995 07:33:18 -0400 (EDT)
To: dba@althingi.is
Cc: www-html@w3.org
> A page is not just a layout question, a page is also
> an abstract concept, a basic unit of text. For instance
> we frequently print many pages on one sheet of paper.

A page is _not_ a unit of text.  Very few authors think in terms of pages.
Most think in terms of "documents", "chapters" and/or "sections."  The
relationship of those entities to pages is up to the publisher.

> The blind feels what a page is and could be told about it
> like headers and anything else.

But why would a blind person _care_ about a page?  Even to sighted readers
a page is often an annoying break in the middle of concpets.

> A browser could have pageing rather than scrolling.

LYNX already does have paging rather than scrolling.  In fact, Mosaic and
Netscape also both allow you to page through documents.

> In HTML we can only deal with text on like paper rolls.
> When the paper rolls get long and numerous we realise that
> it would be nicer to have books with pages.

That is where multiple HTML file come in.  You can use multiple HTML
files to make a single meta-document.

 Paul Prescod