RE: Including WOFF in ACID3

Really ? "The test is old enough to need some changes but if we don't take
them then no one will ask for them" ? Really ? Is that what happen with
browsers and standards ? Ignore change requests so they stop coming ?

This particular change does not affect the results of the test. It just makes
it relevant and up to date. If that doesn't matter, so be it.

> This will cause much
> discussions, and much work.

Please. You're causing the discussion by objecting on dubious grounds. The
change is trivial: change one single line, serve one more file. I very much
doubt that constitutes 'much work' for someone like Ian Hickson. And you
still require approval by browser vendors anyway. And since *you*, according
to Ian, have a right of veto you remain in control.

> It's better to direct energy to making new
> test levels, just like we do for specifications.

So the next version will use WOFF, yes ?

>  > I'd like to see Acid 4 limit itself to actual W3C web
> recommendations.
>
> That would make the test much less valuable for interoperability
> purposes. For example, JavaScript is essential for today's web apps
> and it's not a W3C Rec. The same goes for TTF/OpenType, the payload
> which WOFF carries. Data URLs were also opposed by one vendor for this
> reason.

If WOFF carries it there is no need to test it separately.

> One of the strengths of the Acid tests it that they can test
> comprehensive designs which require the crossing of organizational
> borders.

They can, but it's rather arguable whether they actually do. ACID3
was a collection of individual bug repros with a score that became
a proxy for conformance through clever marketing and general misunderstanding.
Of course now that IE effectively passes it its authors downplay its
importance. Shocker, that.