Re: Including WOFF in ACID3

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:31:12 +0200
To: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Cc: www-font@w3.org
John Hudson wrote:

 > If Acid 3 were to be changed at this late stage, I'd recommend removing
 > both the TTF test and the SVG font test.

Indeed, one good reason for not making changes at this stage is that
it will lead to more change requests. This will cause much
discussions, and much work. It's better to direct energy to making new
test levels, just like we do for specifications.

 > I'd like to see Acid 4 limit itself to actual W3C web recommendations.

That would make the test much less valuable for interoperability
purposes. For example, JavaScript is essential for today's web apps
and it's not a W3C Rec. The same goes for TTF/OpenType, the payload
which WOFF carries. Data URLs were also opposed by one vendor for this
reason.

One of the strengths of the Acid tests it that they can test
comprehensive designs which require the crossing of organizational
borders.

Cheers,

-h&kon