Re: [css3 fonts] font-specific features

Christopher Syle wrote:

> Can I assume that <font-family> here can also be defined by an
> @font-face rule? It's not necessarily dependent on any particular
> font family names in the font itself?

For families defined via @font-face rules, it depends on the
font-family descriptor used in the @font-face rules.  For platform
fonts, it depends on the font family name in the font data (with all
the associated ambiguities across platforms).

> Can <value-name> be shared? Can I define 'swash: swishy 1' for
> FontFamilyOne and 'swash: swishy 3' for FontFamilyTwo, then use
> 'swash(swishy)' to access the alternates in both families?

Yes.  I think this is particularly useful with annotation forms
('nalt'), where fonts often include similar alternates (e.g. circled
numbers, boxed numbers) but use different indices for each.

John Daggett