RE: WOFF and extended metadata

> From: www-font-request@w3.org [mailto:www-font-request@w3.org] On
> Behalf Of Levantovsky, Vladimir

> The purpose of this sentence is to provide specify recommended behavior,
> "MAY" has a completely different meaning.

"MAY" is appropriate. The vast, vast majority of browser users will *never*
look at this information. Ever. I don't think browser vendors should have
to justify not implementing such a specialized metadata feature, yet
SHOULD implicitly requires them to do just that since it is recommended.

Fonts will still carry your metadata. Web authors will still want to access
it. Browser vendors should be free to expose it in whatever way they wish,
be it as a built-in dialog or an API exposed for applications and add-ons,
or both. Most importantly for the format's adoption, they should be able to
implement this *when* they wish.

effect on the runtime use of the font data thus 3) recommending a UI mechanism
here is toothless in practice, which means that 4) making this a SHOULD will
likely result in most browsers being both non-conformant and interoperable.
I don't think that's an interesting result from a standardization standpoint.

If the metadata format is simple and extensible, we're definitely interested in
supporting this eventually. But that is unlikely to be a priority in the first
release that supports WOFF i.e. whether the lack of font metadata info UI makes us
non-conformant with respect to WOFF will be up to web authors. That would make it
a MAY.