RE: Format name proposals - "Cooperable Web Type"

On Sunday, August 30, 2009 12:02 PM Richard Fink wrote:

> Saturday, August 29, 2009 Ricardo Esteves Ricardo Esteves
> <Ricardo@outrasfontes.com>:
>
> >> EOTL is compliant with @font-face, although older IE versions may
> have
> some issues".
>
> >Considerable issues, I might say
>
> I agree with Ricardo. The syntactical hassles are not as minor as Vlad
> presents them.

Whether issues are major or minor is not the point I was trying to make. Whatever the issues are - they are related to @font-face implementation, and not in any way dependent on EOT or EOTL.

And, as far as lack of support for font-style is concerned, the simple work around is to create separate font resources with different font names (with style being part of the name) for each 'real' italic, bold or bold-italic font. I know it's not a perfect solution but a solution nevertheless.

Again, the point is that EOT or EOTL should not be blamed for the IE6-8 quirks in implementing @font-face.

The main purpose of EOTL is to offer backward-compatible solution, hence "compatibility" or "compatible" as part of the name sounds right to me.

Regards
Vlad