Re: Not replacing OTF/TTF linking

Ben Weiner wrote:

> In fact both EOTL and webOTF proponents are happy that TTF and OTF
> remain as viable formats for linking with @font-face as they are in
> current W3C recommendations

Careful how you word this. What Erik said was

	The webotf proposal does not state anything
	about replacing otf / ttf linking.

Which is hardly a statement of 'happiness' with naked font linking.

Most font makers are pretty much resigned that existing naked font
linking is not going to go away, but we are far from happy to see it
propagated further. This seems to me a moot point, though: since
Microsoft remain very much opposed to naked font linking and are
unlikely to support it in IE, and large numbers of font makers are
opposed to licensing for that format, it doesn't seem viable as an
interoperable format. What we're looking for is a format that is
interoperable in terms of widespread browser support and suitability to
various kinds of licensing, rather than suitability only to free licensing.

JH