Re: WebOTF Proposal

On 7 Aug 2009, at 20:02, Christopher Slye wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2009, at 11:14 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> Yes, any sfnt can be packaged this way. This is a repackaging of
>> "OpenType the Font Format", as distinct from anything to do with
>> "OpenType the Text Layout Model". (I wish the term "OpenType" weren't
>> so overloaded. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen
>> users,
>> and even developers, utterly confused by it.)
>
> And keep in mind that "OpenType" is a registered trademark of
> Microsoft, so you'll probably want to avoid formally attaching that
> name to this proposal.

Hmmm. OK, let's call it "Web-optimized repackaging of ISO/IEC
14496-22:2009 : Information technology -- Coding of audio-visual
objects -- Part 22: Open Font Format". That rolls off the tongue
nicely, and it'll be great as a file extension. :)

Seriously, though, I think we can still call the format WebOTF, can't
we? In theory it could be WebOFF, because the ISO standard calls it
the Open Font Format, but nobody actually uses that term. I guess we
can try to avoid using the term "OpenType", and prefer references to
"sfnt tables" and so on, but surely it's OK to refer to other
standards like TrueType (an Apple trademark), OpenType (MS), or even
PostScript (Adobe) in the course of the description?

Does that seem like a problem? Any better suggestions?

JK