Re: WebOTF Proposal

On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 11:32 +1200, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net> wrote:
>         I am curious if you considered a particular
>         alternative to table compression. Namely:
>
>         Whole file compression is not incompatible with
>         a degree of random access to a file.  bzip2
>         and gzip offer support for this.
>
> AFAIK you can only do this by doing Z_FULL_FLUSH periodically *and*
> storing offsets into the compressed data in an auxiliary table. That
> is not very different, or much less work, than what ZOT does.
>
> Did you have something else in mind?

Your question startled me ("why is he asking that?!?")
because I had the (apparently quite mistaken) impression
that both gzip and bzip2 had options to build
chunk index tables.   I'm quite amazed that they don't
although while looking for them I did find an (old!)
developer note for one of the programs that said,
essentially, "Yeah, we should get around to doing that."

You answered my question.  Thanks.

Systems programming is dead, long live systems programming,
-t