Re: EOT & DMCA concerns

This scenario seems contrived and far-fetched.

EOTL is considered superior by many because it holds the promise of
compatibility in all browsers. I don't know why any author or foundry
would prefer EOT -- rootstrings and all -- if it only works in IE.

How is a world where an author can use a font only with EOT in IE and
not at all in Opera better than a world where they have a choice to
use EOT in IE or EOTL in IE and Opera?

And even if all browsers settled on some other web font format -- or
raw fonts! -- wouldn't EOT in IE still be there to cause foundries to
give a discount for it? Why is EOT's existence not now "costing money"?

-Christopher