Re: cutting to the chase

Mr. Phinney,

This is an interesting question that you raise.

Please join me in this thought experiment:

Suppose that tomorrow a bolt of lightning from
the sky conveys upon us a universally agreed upon
"new format".  Perhaps it is an EOTL variant.  Perhaps
it is a wrapper variant.  Whatever the case, everybody
is happy with it.  As a bonus, the same lightening strike
gave us implementations of it for all major browsers.

Whom do you think will object to a Recommendation for
BOTH TTF/OTF and this new format?  I understand that the
list is likely to not be empty.  I think I understand
that MSFT has made clear that they would Object.  But,
what is that list?  Who, exactly, would object to *that*?
And at least as importantly, what would the expressed
basis of the Objection be?

I think the list of who would Object is small compared to
the list of stakeholders in support and that no good basis
for excluding TTF/OTF is forthcoming - there is no Objection
that will stand the "reasonable person" test.

If you disagree, at least in cursory terms, could you
please explain why?

Now, obviously that bolt of lightening is not to be
expected.  Would you be terribly surprised if it took
a good 5 years for a new format to become a Recommendation
given the discussion so far?

On the other hand, we can sanctify a TTF/OTF (w/ or w/o
same-origin+CORS) in under a year, with all but a
distinctly small minority of UA implementations conforming.
And, with that small minority of non-conforming
implementations having a technologically
and legally trivial path to coming in to conformance,
it is difficult to image the basis of any legitimate
Objection.

And a further thought experiment:

Imagining your worst nightmare (in this narrow domain)
in which a WG is quickly formed and quickly says
that TTF/OTF is required (again, perhaps w/ or w/o CORS,
yadda yadda).

Who do you think will Object and on what basis do you
suppose they will Object?  How do you expect that
Objection to be handled within the W3C process?

-t