Re: FW: EOT-Lite File Format

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 5:29 PM, John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure that I understand what the concern is about font EULA
> licenses. Font vendors are either going to license their fonts to be used
> with EOTL or they are not, and if they do so it makes no sense to do so in a
> way that presents practical problems for authors to use those fonts.
>

> As I understand the current EOTL proposal, it uses a version number that
> does not include rootstrings in the font header. Since the version number
> needs to checked in order to determine that this is a valid EOTL, what is
> the worry that a font will contain rootstrings and the user agent will need
> to make some kind of choice about that to do in that case? It seems to me
> very simple: a font that is a version of EOT that might contain a rootstring
> is not a valid EOTL font and should not be loaded by an EOTL conformant user
> agent.
>
> Font makers are going to need to figure out what kind of license terms are
> appropriate for web fonts, and I suspect that many of them are waiting to
> see what the format looks like first. At the moment, I suspect many of them
> don't even know what the options are.

OK.

The current "EOT-Lite 1.1" that John Daggett described in his email of a few
days ago is not compatible with authors using rootstrings to control font
access when loaded as an EOT-Classic font by IE<=8. It's now up to Web
authors and font vendors to work out if that format is useful to them. I
guess we'll just have to wait for that feedback to arrive.

Rob
53:5-6]