RE: EOT-Lite File Format

Thursday, July 30, 2009 Vladimir Levantovsky
<Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>:

>Monotype would be very supportive if MTX compression is included as part
>of EOT-Lite Recommendation. Our offer and our commitment remains the
>same - we will provide unrestricted royalty-free patent license if MTX
>is included in the deal.

If memory serves me correctly, John Daggett voiced a concern about the
amount of time additional testing, evaluation, etc... of MTX would entail.
Time *is* of great concern, but I'm wondering if John has had any new
thoughts on the matter.
There's a broad consensus that the next generation web font format beyond
EOT should feature compression. And therefore I think that, looking back,
there might be regrets at not having incorporated MTX royalty free when
there was the chance. Fonts are big files. Compression has benefits. Is
EOTL, the improvement to EOT, to be inferior to EOT in this regard? Looked
at in this way, it doesn't make a lot of sense.
MTX has been working code in IE for what, ten years?
I, too, urge that we give the pros, cons, and practicalities of
incorporating MTX a last going-over.

Regards,

rich