Re: EOT-Lite File Format

On Thu, 2009-07-30 at 16:56 -0700, John Hudson wrote:
> Tab wrote:

> I kind of assumed that EOTL clients would check for nil rootstrings, and
> that a non-nil rootstring would make it an invalid EOTL.

The maxim "Be tolerant in what you receive, strict in what
you transmit" applies here.

According to that maxim, a Recommendation MUST NOT say
"MUST NOT render" on the flimsy excuse of a non-nil
root string - but a Recommendation probably SHOULD say
"MUST render" for the case of a nil root string.

> Whatever else it is, an EOT Lite font is a font with a nil rootstring
> [at the moment, it is also a font with no compression, but I'm really
> hoping that we can get this to a working group stage and satisfy
> Monotype's criteria for releasing the MTX patented compression].

[amen to your [...]]

-t