RE: The unmentionable

On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 21:53 +0000, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> > From: Thomas Lord [mailto:lord@emf.net]

> > > One last time: if Mozilla's motive to do same-origin/CORS
> > > is valid, why wouldn't it be valid for non-raw fonts ?

> > What is amusing to me is that you are
> > asking me that question after I gave
> > two reasons why it would be arguably valid.

> Precisely. You already know there are perfectly valid
> reasons to do it that way. So why should we worry about
> having to require this feature for the purpose of 'IP protection' ?

There are two reasons.

One is that language about "IP protection" will have
a very rough time if it appears in a draft Recommendation.
The other is that the proponents of the feature should
be fully informed and realize that the requirement,
should it appear in a Recommendation, will not be
for "IP protection".

We are here working towards a Recommendation, no?

> Why worry about future formal objections to a requirement
> a working draft wouldn't even need to state in order to justify
> the feature in the first place ?

So that people who are considering advocating for
the requirement are not misled in their expectations
and so that we can begin to advance the dialog by
more explicitly considering what a draft Recommendation
will actually say.

-t