Re: The unmentionable (was: "A way forward")

On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 06:15 +0600, Chris Fynn wrote:
> Thomas

> If what you say about same-origin checking and CORS is true, presumably
> this would also apply to .webfont, ZOT or any other proposal if it
> included same-origin checking.

Correct.

> Similarly I guess anything else that was
> in a proposal to "protect font IP" with no other clear benefit to users
> would not fly with the architectural board you refer to?

I would hope (and expect) not for at least these reasons:

1) That would create legal liabilities for implementers.
2) Such protection would be specific to just some legal jurisdictions.
3) Programs can't accurately compute a user's legal rights in any
   jurisdiction.

> I think we need to be clear about this, as I get the feeling there may
> still be some who primarily see all these web font proposals as offering
> some form of IP protection - even if it is only a low "garden fence".

Sometimes, by "garden fence", people mean a font file
format which is distinct from TT/OT format.  That's
an example of "protection" which does not involve
a technological restriction on the font.

In the past, people sometimes meant things like
"root string enforcement" when they said "garden fence".
That would be a technological restriction and would
likely run into problems.

-t