RE: A way forward

> From: www-font-request@w3.org [mailto:www-font-request@w3.org] On
> Behalf Of karsten luecke

> Can we count on you?

You may. But that is hardly sufficient without a fair and honest commitment to the process from all browser vendors. Given Mozilla+Opera's latest demands, the scope of required work has now expanded well beyond agreeing on a common font wrapper and/or obfuscation format. We are also expected to standardize all cross-browser behavior and capabilities for fonts, including some of the compatibility work the implementers of raw font linking have not cared to address to date e.g. same-origin policy for font resources. All good in principle, but it will take longer.

Given the overall pattern of evasion, contradiction and some of the latest objections leveled against certain proposals but conveniently silenced for others, I expect there will be more demands and wonder whether achieving a timely agreement is everyone's goal.

Got to try. But the record indicates little will be achieved unless the main stakeholders - web authors, font creators - are actively involved and hold all browser vendors accountable.