RE: Webfont compression

Richard,

Just to make everything crystal clear for you:

1. Monotype has invested significant resources in development of MTX
compression technology. It is available for licensing by any interested
party (and has been available for years) but we have been under no
obligation to license it for free!

2. In 2008, Microsoft and Monotype Imaging made a joint submission of
EOT technology to W3C [1]. At that time, the company agreed to comply
with the W3C patent policy [2] and to offer royalty-free license for any
portion of the submitted technology that is subsequently incorporated in
a W3C recommendation.

3. W3C patent policy has a provision known as "field of use restriction"
(item 3) that allows patent license be limited to implementation of the
W3C Recommendation. Mozilla claimed that this provision is incompatible
with the GPL license, which is one of the licenses used to distribute
the Firefox source code.

4. In order to facilitate the development of W3C web font solution and
the adoption of the MTX compression technology Monotype has made a
voluntary commitment _not_ to exercise our rights to impose "field of
use restriction" and to offer unrestricted royalty-free license, but
still only "for any portion of the Submission that is subsequently
incorporated in a W3C Recommendation".

5. For MTX compression (or any part of it) to be incorporated in a W3C
recommendation, a working group needs to be formed with the charter to
develop such a Recommendation. Until now, all attempts to form the Fonts
Working Group have been blocked by Mozilla and Opera. Our offer to
provide unrestricted royalty-free patent license remains on the table
and is unequivocal but it does require browser vendors to
- agree to set up Fonts WG for the purposes of developing W3C web font
solution, and
- to reach a consensus on the technology in question.

6. Licensing fonts for use with EOT technology is a completely separate
issue from patent licensing to implement EOT support. In other words,
implementing EOT either as part of a browser or in EOT creation tool
does require a patent license; web authors who wish to use EOT do not
need any patent license and only need to license fonts.

Vladimir

[1] http://www.w3.org/Submission/2008/01/
[2]
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/#sec-Requirements