Re: A way forward

John Daggett wrote:

> My only concern with .webfont was that font vendors were
> endorsing .webfont because it appeared to have root strings but the
> latest version makes it clear that it doesn't.

There's still a lot of support for the .webfont idea among font makers
and vendors, despite the clarification on root strings. I would be
willing to clarify that further, explaining the implications of the
proposed spec in terms that everyone can understand, to make sure that
everyone still likes the idea. Mind you, if they don't like the idea,
then EOT Lite is probably the next stop.

[I fully expect customer URL info to be rolled into private font tables
by many font makers, for ease of tracking and customer account
management, regardless of font format. It isn't something that puts any
obligation on browsers.]

I believe a significant number of font makers/vendors would also license
for EOT or EOT Lite. We want to have a single interoperable format
because it makes our job a lot easier: we only recently escaped from
mastering multiple incompatible font formats for different platforms
(Win Type 1, Mac Type 1, Win TTF, etc.) and we're really not keen on the
idea of going back to that kind of situation for web fonts.

JH