RE: Webfont compression

Rich,

I am not sure what Typophile discussion you are referring to - I've
never danced around any commitments that I make.

I made a promise on this list on behalf of Monotype Imaging to offer
unrestricted, GPL-compatible, royalty-free license for MTX compression
technology and the use of patents associated with it. The offer is
unequivocal, and is contingent only on the adoption of the technology as
part of a web font solution (any solution, whether EOT or its
derivative, or any future webfont solution).
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Jun/0228.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Jun/0321.html

Bringing MTX to the public domain requires spending money and resources.
It is doable, but for this to happen I really need to hear that the
technology is going to be part of a future solution. The MTX
specification and source code is publicly available as part of EOT
submission [1], and, like I said earlier, Monotype is willing to work
with any interested party to make our IP available for the purpose of
developing, prototyping or implementing a future W3C Recommendation.

So far, I've only heard a healthy criticism and none of the browser
vendors expressed any interest in supporting MTX (EOT-Lite solution does
not require MTX support). And, if no one wants the MTX technology,
giving it away to public domain for no particular good reason and
spending time and money doing it wouldn't be justified (according to
your own admissions). We do have shareholders we need to answer to.

Regards,
Vladimir

[1] http://www.w3.org/Submission/2008/SUBM-MTX-20080305/

ZOT)