Re: A way forward

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 7:02 PM, John Daggett<jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:
> If Microsoft can ship an update to support CFF fonts in an EOT format
> in older browsers on older operating systems they certainly could ship
> an update to support a simple format like this, I don't see a why
> other browser vendors should bend over backwards because Internet
> Explorer has long product cycles.

Because it wouldn't be bending over backwards.  How many lines of code
would it be to support EOT Lite, a few hundred?  The short-term
improvement to interoperability, on the other hand, would be drastic.
Not an ideal solution by any means, and no one is saying it should be
treated as a long-term solution at all.  It simply gives authors the
option to ship a single font file in the near future, at very low cost
to implementers.  And that really would be a nice thing to have.