RE: Webfont compression

On Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:12 AM Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> It so happens that EOT Lite was stumbled upon as a format
> that is supported by all currently relevant versions of IE, and is
> fairly uncontroversial.
>
> The fact that we can make web fonts work in IE6 without any of the
> more distasteful baggage of the EOT format is a glorious coincidence
> that we would be remiss in not taking advantage of, for the sake of us
> authors who just want to use pretty fonts yesterday.
>
> After that gets standardized, go crazy making a simpler format.  The
> basic work will have been completed, and the urgent need to do
> something, *anything*, will no longer be present.  You can spend time
> gathering opinions and debating technical points then.

Indeed, this says it all!

As a result of the long and productive discussions we "stumbled upon"
EOT-Lite solution that can be easily implemented and allows delivering a
working cross-platform @font-face support to as many users as possible,
and in the shortest time possible. And because EOT-Lite is also
supported by font vendors, it does mean that authors will have an
opportunity to use custom fonts starting "yesterday", for the benefits
of billions of web users around the globe.

Once we satisfied the urge to have a working @font-face solution, we can
make a stub at developing a new  solution. Isn't it the way how the
whole web has emerged - delivering a quick solution that works and
refining it later? Support for legacy implementations has never stopped
the technical progress, and I am sure that as soon as we deliver working
cross-platform support for @font-face today, we will be better prepared
to introduce a new, better solution that will become the de-facto
standard 5 years from now.

Regards,
Vladimir