RE: I expect all foundries to start offering web font licenses within 6 months.

Monday, July 20, 2009 <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
>it's definitely not required by EOT and there are other alternatives today.

Yes. It's kind of a moot and tangential issue at this point. My
understanding is that Ascender has new, free tools in the works for EOT
Lite. Tools from other sources will undoubtedly be available, as well,
friendlier than the command line tool you mentioned in an earlier post.
FWIW - I think, in general, EOT Lite isn't quite understood as yet. My first
initial reaction to it was, "Huh? What the heck is this, now?". I couldn't
understand how they magically did away with the rootstrings requirement. But
the original code allowed for it. Go figure.
There's a post on my blog that explains it pretty well, I think:
http://readableweb.com/jeffrey-zeldman-questions-the-eot-lite-web-font-forma
t/

Cheers,

rich