Re: .webfont Proposal 2

On Jul 15, 2009, at 5:56 PM, John Daggett wrote:

> So for OpenType fonts this is simply a wrapper format around the raw
> font data included in an archive format (in this case a zipfile)?

Yes.

> Are
> there additional requirements for the structure of the fontdata?

The only requirement is that it be a file type that is defined in the
standard.

> I'm wondering who would create these files?  Would authors purchase
> fonts in this format or use tools to create these fonts from their
> existing library of fonts?  If tools are used to create these you
> probably need to say a little more about what that workflow would look
> like and where the data above would come from.  Would this data be
> added
> to the font metadata in the name table?

I think all of this is going to vary depending on the font vendor.
Some may allow conversion and others may not. For a conversion, much
of the data can come from the name table, provided the appropriate
fields are in the font's name table. As for adding it to the name
table, do you mean as part of the OpenType spec or would the font
vendor add the info.xml data to the appropriate fields of the fontdata
name table?

> To achieve interoperability you need to have more than simply
> "Optional"
> next to data elements like the "allow" element.  Either it is
> informative, provided for displaying information about the font
> resource, or has a defined behavior which is consistent across user
> agents.

What those statements mean is that they are optional in the file. For
example, some fonts may not have a licenseurl element and others may
not. We didn't want to get too far ahead of ourselves and start
specifying what the user agents would do with each element. We can
work that out if it would be helpful.

Tal