Re: I expect all foundries to start offering web font licenses within 6 months.

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Tab Atkins Jr.<jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Dave Crossland<dave@lab6.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Augh FF3.5 renders the body-text Fedra Sans Bold *horribly*.  It hurts
>>> my eyes to look at it!  WinSafari does the same.  Is that the fault of
>>> the font, or simply bad text rendering engines?
>>
>> http://www.typotheque.com/images/news/multilingual_sample.png looks
>> like abattis.org/dump/typotheque.png to me (Ubuntu Gutsy, FF3.5, all
>> defaults) and it looks lovely to me.
>
> False alarm: I'd forgotten that I never turned ClearType on after I
> formatted this laptop.  FF and Webkit people, you're doing fine.  ^_^
>
> That's something I'm going to have to keep in mind when selecting body
> fonts, though...  I suspect it's not a huge deal as Vista has it
> turned on by default, but there are still plenty of people running XP
> (like me) that it's something to think about for a while.

For FireFox and Safari on Windows, they choose to rely on the OS setting.

IIRC, IE 6 and higher on Windows choose to turn on ClearType all the
time (even on XP) just for the app, so ClearType on XP has more
browser penetration than you might think.

Cheers,