Re: Questions re web-fonts

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 10:39 AM, John Hudson<tiro@tiro.com> wrote:
> The sad thing is that we might end up with EOT or some derivative as a
> standard format simply because we're being pushed to a quick solution
> instead of the right solution.

Please don't dismiss the benefits of a quick solution, though - EOT
(or a compatible derivative) can be 'adopted' *retroactively* so that
users with obsolete browsers (in the IE line, which is the majority of
internet users currently) can benefit.  Any new format, on the other
hand, even if decided on today, will require at least half a decade
before it's truly usable.

When speaking practically, a 'quick' solution like this carries some
very large benefits with it that can balance it against other
solutions which may be more technically desirable.

~TJ