Re: Font license vs. conversion between font formats

On 9 jul 2009, at 11:00, Mikko Rantalainen wrote:

> I'm trying to argue that if plain TTF/OTF is not acceptable format
> because it does not offer protection, then any other freely usable
> format is not acceptable either.

As several posters on this list already pointed out that this is not a
discussion of absolutes. There is no absolute security in any scheme.
That doesn't mean there is no reason for things like certificates,
https, public-key, whatever (as general examples, please don't
interpret this as a case for any of those specifically for fonts),

> As a result, if font foundries are not
> willing to license for TTF/OTF usage, they will not be willing to
> license to any system except a full-blown DRM (which does not exists).

Did you talk to any foundries? We did, and our .webfont proposal
reflects that, are explicitly *not* asking for DRM. They *are* willing
to support a scheme which puts one or two "bulkheads" between the raw
font and the end user. Enough to discourage casual users (of which
there are billions), enough to be able to inform users about relevant
licensing information. Our proposal does not attempt to thwart
hackers, developers, collectors, (of which there are considerably
fewer) because there is no point.

Is this too pragmatic to consider?

Erik