Re: Font license vs. conversion between font formats

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 4:56 AM, Mikko
Rantalainen<mikko.rantalainen@peda.net> wrote:
> OTF files can include bitmap glyphs if I haven't totally misunderstood.
> Do not distribute the actual font shaping data if you are not
> comfortable with anybody copying that data. Instead, pre-render those
> shapes as bitmaps and distribute a collection of those bitmaps as the
> "web font". Use deformed vector shapes if such data is always required
> by the OTF (I don't know). That would be the low-res font file directly
> comparable with low-res image.

Although that would be great in principle, and you're right about the
font format supporting bitmaps, I am of the impression that current
operating systems do not support those bitmaps AFAIK. If that is
correct, then such fonts would not work on Mac or Windows. (I'll trust
others to correct me if I'm mistaken here.)

Regards,