Re: Fonts WG Charter feedback

Thomas Lord wrote:

> If we boil that down, you object to circumstances
> which have people:
>
>    [...]benefiting from my work [..] enjoying
>    value that my work adds [...] [yet] giving me
>    absolutely nothing in return, not even respect.
>    [....] [Browser makers are an example.]

That conflates two separate points, in a way that makes it easy for you
to address only the second. I made the point about browser makers
largely as an afterthought, and I don't want it to get in the way of the
main point which is this:

Rightly or wrongly, type designers and font developers see TTF/OTF
linking as simply font filesharing, opening the door to the totally
unregulated and practically unpoliceable copying and using of any font
anywhere. [If you think that fear is unfounded, it is up to you to
convince type designers and font developers that they are wrong and that
this isn't going to happen. The trouble is, it is their work and their
livelihood that is being deliberately put at risk by a second party, not
yours, so don't be surprised if you have a hard time convincing them or
if they ask you to put your money where your mouth is.] You wanted to
know what would motivate font vendors to object to TTF/OTF linking --
with or without a secondary format that may or may not, but probably
won't, be significantly less open to piracy --, and I suggested what
might motivate type designers (who might also be font vendors but might
also not), which is the proliferation of unlicensed use of fonts and
hence unlicensed benefit from the added value of our work.

Now, as I have expressed elsewhere in this discussion, I am not
necessarily opposed, personally, to TTF/OTF linking. I am seeking to
explain to you why your presumptions about the *reasons* for objections
from font makers/vendors might be incorrect or, at least, incomplete.

Ironically, I am growing less favourable to TTF/OTF linking as this
discussion progresses, so maybe you want to stop talking. :)

JH