Re: Fonts WG Charter feedback

Sylvain Galineau wrote:

>> Then, as part of that spec, we would have a table to hold  a machine
>> readable license, different sets of embedding bits (for document, web,
>> pdf, e-book, etc, use) - fields to hold such data as serial number and
>> so on, and whatever else font foundries and vendors think they need, all
>> held right in the font.

> Several browser vendors object to enforcing rules embedded in a resource; whether rootstrings or embedding bits, this is
> Something that has been discussed and rejected a number of times afaik.

The objection, as I understand it, is to a web fonts standard that
*obliges* browsers to enforced embedded rules or permissions. The
browser makers can have no objection to the presence of such data in a
font, since the font file format is beyond their remit. There is value
to putting such data into fonts even if the browsers ignore it
completely; there are also circumstances in which browser makers may opt
to at least expose this data, since it is of benefit not only to font
vendors but also to web publishers. In commercial use, fonts add value
to content and design; as such, they represent an investment on the part
of the publisher and the illegitimate use of the same fonts by another
party is unfair competition to the honest web publisher.

John Hudson