Re: Fonts WG Charter feedback

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Aryeh Gregor<Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 4:16 PM, John Hudson<tiro@tiro.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps because you -- and many other people in this debate -- seem only to
>> consider the browser market?
>
> Because the browser implementers are the ones who decide what formats
> they'll support.  All other parties are therefore pragmatically
> irrelevant except insofar as they can get the browser implementers to
> agree with them.

You could replace "browser implementers" with "font owners" and the
statement would be equally true.

The only difference being that the critical mass percentage is a bit
different. For browsers, you need both IE and Firefox and preferably
Safari as well. Everything else is window dressing. (I write that even
though I use Google Chrome myself, just being pragmatic.) For font
vendors, there's no specific critical mass.

Cheers,