RE: Fonts WG Charter feedback

On Thursday, July 02, 2009 1:46 PM Thomas Lord wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 12:56 -0400, Levantovsky, Vladimir wrote:
>
> > I am not sure about music in general, but I think that iTunes is a
> good
> > example where the technology, the users and the content providers
> strike
> > a (nearly) perfect balance, which makes everybody happy as a result.
>
> There are certainly a great many people who
> are not happy about the DRM aspects of iTunes
> but we need not even get into that question
> because the analogy is flawed.

I brought this analogy because I believe it's entirely relevant - Apple
was the first company (Sony tried but failed) who introduced a technical
solution that brought together content producers and users under the
same "roof" and turned them into a happy crowd. If we do the same and
introduce a technical solution that minimizes the concerns of font
vendors to the point they are comfortable licensing their products for
web use - we will have millions of happy web authors and billions of
happy users.

> With iTunes, users are buying from a very small
> line of devices for the limited purpose of having
> those specific devices play music for them.
>
> With web fonts, a vast array of software
> encompassing both Web UAs and desktop applications
> is at stake.

Why is it" at stake"? If you have a compressed font on a web server and
you have an application (UA) that can legitimately use that font - what
is broken? The compression and decompression spec is public and
royalty-free.

> When we build Internet / Web standards,
> one of the big places we can go badly wrong is to
> introduce new formats and protocols where none is
> technically necessary.   When that happens, it is a
> kind of tax as many, many separately developed and
> maintained programs around the world must add new code
> and complexity to deal with the new format, and users
> must endure the hassle of a more complicated and less
> smoothly inter-operating computing environment.
> Gratuitous new formats are more or less the opposite
> of what these standards processes are supposed to
> produce.

It's not unusual to apply a specific target compression and packaging
for digital assets transmitted over the internet. What is normal for
desktop environment (e.g., raw fonts or raw images) may not be suitable
for the web for multiple different reasons. E.g., JPEG image compression
was introduced as image exchange format, but most of the photographers
keep using raw image formats in their production workflow. I believe the
same can be applied for fonts - raw fonts have a lot of redundancy to
enable high-performance text layout and rendering and are good for
desktop applications, but they're not a good format for the web or for
any font information exchange over bandwidth-limited channel.
Compression will solve that problem and the overall benefits justify a
bit of additional complexity, IMHO.

> I think we all understand the "let's have a
> low garden fence" argument and have sympathy
> towards it even while recognizing its limits.
> It should not imply *not* requiring OT/TT support
> and it should not imply a new format whose sole
> rationale is to damage interoperability and
> add needless complexity to many, many programs.

Like I said, I do not consider compression needless, I think it's useful
and beneficial tool. The complexity it brings is minimal.

-Vlad