Re: Fonts WG Charter feedback

On 1 Jul 2009, at 02:37, Levantovsky, Vladimir wrote:

> I want to say that I absolutely support with both hands what Thomas
> has proposed.
> I also think there is also a way to merge this and Jonathan's
> proposal so that we would get "wrapped(compressed(X))", which is
> both useful as a generic wrapper format and provides real tangible
> benefits for both authors and users.

It is not yet clear to me what "real tangible benefits" are provided
by wrapping fonts, given that fonts can already carry whatever
metadata you wish to include.

Perhaps the day will come when all web resources are delivered in a
standard "wrapper", so that user agents can access and display
information about them without having to read format-specific elements
from the resource itself, whether that means the 'name' table in a
font, the Exif tags in an image, the DocInfo dictionary of a PDF file,
etc. If that is the goal, though, it should be addressed in a much
broader context than this group.

JK