RE: requirements for a web font container format?

Dirk, some of us believe there should be neither a requirement document nor a container format, even if the solution is brand-new (no 'unfair advantage' baggage) open and likely more beneficial for author choice and cross-browser interoperability than our current situation. That's been stated quite clearly. Hence the circular discussion. This is unnecessarily (albeit probably intentionally) discouraging but ultimately you're right: those of us who would like one - and those who aren't against it - need to move on and get to work. I gather that Ascender's first proposal [1] was a decent starting point.

[1] http://blog.fontembedding.com/post/2009/06/10/New-Web-Fonts-Proposal.aspx