Re: Fonts WG Charter feedback

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Levantovsky, Vladimir <
Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com> wrote:

> [...]

If "EOT Lite" fonts are to work in IE <= 8, then they must have the problems
I described. Authors will need to implement Referer checking, otherwise
fonts linked across domains will work in IE. And rootstring data will be
treated differently by different browsers, if it is present, even though you
say it shouldn't be.

It's simpler and better for there to be two formats for the interim, have
> authors serve two font files, and in the long run converge on the new
> format.
>

> With the problem being that the majority of fonts today cannot be licensed
> for such use. It makes it very important for us to converge on the new
> format sooner rather than later, and I would ask you to take another look
> and consider if either “EOT Lite” or Thomas Lord “generic wrapper” proposal
> would be something you can support.

Ascender's original proposal was something I could support.

Rob
53:5-6]