RE: Fonts WG Charter feedback

On Monday, June 29, 2009 5:12 PM Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Also sprach Levantovsky, Vladimir:
>
>  > One smart man presenting at the ATypI WebFonts panel in 2008 said:
>  > "It's important to understand who is making the final decision
>  > about webfonts. It's not me. It's not the people in the panel. It's
>  > not W3C. And it's not you in the audience. The decision is made by
>  > the people out there who create web pages and style sheets. If they
>  > like what they see, webfonts will soon be changing the face of the
>  > web." Håkon, this smart man was you.
>
> Indeed:
>
>    http://people.opera.com/howcome/2008/atypi/
>
>  > The successful outcome of Fonts WG work will enable authors do just
> that.
>
> It's more likely that we will see a format war along the lines of
> BlueRay/HD-DVD or EOT/TrueDoc. In these battles, there are no winners,
> but many losers.

I agree, with the only correction that we *are seeing* the format (or the browser) war right now, and this is why I believe that Fonts WG work is so overdue - it will let us fix the webfonts issues once and for all. On the other hand, not doing anything as you proposed will only prolong this format war and pave the way for third-party solutions such as sIFR, Cufon and TypeKit.

Regards,
Vladimir