Re: Protecting WebFonts

From: Clive Bruton <Clive@typonaut.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 96 20:58:43 +0000
To: www-font@w3.org
Gary Ruben:

>Well, I agree that we should not give end-users the impression that
>fonts are free (except if they are specifically identified as such). But
>we are not talking about end-users distributing the fonts. I am
>suggesting that Web page authors and publishers who have purchased or
>licensed a legitimate copy of a font should be able to publish with it,
>without worrying that it will "accidently" fall into the hands of users
>who did not pay for the privilege of publishing with that font, and that
>we in the industry have an obligation to find a method that lets
>publishers use the fonts they own without that risk.

I think that is entirely reasonable, as long as those publishers have paid for
extra licensing, the fonts are tagged as belonging to them and they cannot be
extracted from the carrier doc and reused elsewhere.

But designers and foundries need not only the chance to opt-out of such a
scheme, they need to be reassured that they won't be opted-in by force, ie by
some hacker.

Some form of "font-fauxing" as Adobe's Acrobat supplies would also not go amiss.

-- Clive