Re[4]: pixel fonts

From: Brad Chase <brad_chase@met.bitstream.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 10:27:41 edt
To: www-font@w3.org
Erik van Blokland wrote:
> Developments like Truedoc won't do the trick: the reasoning is (by IMO
> dubious interpretation of _US_ copyright law) by making a lower
> quality copy of the font, people won't be interested in pirating it.
> But: the font was good enough to use it in the orginal Truedoc
> document, so why raise you standards?

As paper has been the font transport mechanism in traditional publishing,
TrueDoc is a font transport mechanism in electronic publishing. It provides
the means for the legitimate owner/licensee of a font to publish documents
electronically using that font. Nothing more. Nothing less.

TrueDoc faithfully reproduces font images at all resolutions. Indeed,
TrueDoc format fonts are used in a number of laser printers. It is NOT a
means for skirting copyright laws or for illegally copying fonts.

Actually TrueDoc addresses a number of your concerns:
  - TrueDoc files (PFRs) must be decoded to be used (preventing copying)
  - TrueDoc provides secure installation into the client environment
        so that only the installing application can use the font
  - TrueDoc is capable of transporting bitmap data

I hope this cuts through some of the confusion concerning TrueDoc. If I can
be of any further assistance, please contact me.

        Brad Chase

        Product Manager
        Bitstream Inc.