Re: DOM L3 Core spec.: textContent specification ambiguity

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 05:13:21 -0400, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi, Daniel-
>
> I agree with Robin that the text seems clear, and that the string
> "&lt;e/&gt;" doesn't contain markup... in fact, it's specifically
> escaped so that the UA doesn't misinterpret it as markup.
>
> However, if you still think it's ambiguous, the most productive way
> forward is not to present arguments, but to propose alternate wording.

"Similarly, on setting, no parsing is performed either, the input string
is taken as pure textual content."

Why not take that as an example and use:

"On getting, no serialization is performed, the returned string contains
pure textual content."

?

That would get rid of 'markup', which I don't think should have even been
brought up in the first place.

If you are going to mention 'markup', I think it'd be good to say that the
returned string doesn't contain markup in the innerHTML sense. But, is
mention 'markup' actually necessary? Shouldn't "No serialization is
performed" be enough?

Also, the setting and getting descriptions are all lumped and intermixed
into that paragraph.

I'd much prefer:

On setting:

Setting description