Re: Changes to DOM3 Events Key Identifiers

Op 30-10-2009 11:36, Alex Danilo schreef:
>> "\uxxxx" is not a syntax, it is a Unicode string of the actual
>> character. \u introduces the escape sequence for a unicode code point.
>> So you can compare it directly to a character.
>>
> Thanks for the clarification.

Well, regardless of whether what Maciej says is actually the case,

> So, how does this provide any advantage over 'keyCode'?

keyCode returns an integer, which in JavaScript is not directly
comparable to a character (well, it is, but not like in C; 101 ==
"101"). JavaScript does not have a character type, only a string type.
Actually I think C does not have a character type either, it is an alias
for byte, no? Either way, in JavaScript 169 != "©".

> It seemed to me that keyCode is used for the code point, as in maps
> to the Unicode point and the whole reason there was keyIdentifier
> was to provide descriptive strings.

keyCode does not map to Unicode code points, e.g. F1-F24 map to values
112-135 which are not Unicode.

> If I want the Unicode point explicitly I can use
> keyCode or am I missing something?

Hope this cleared that up.

~Laurens

--
~~ Ushiko-san! Kimi wa doushite, Ushiko-san nan da!! ~~
Laurens Holst, developer, Utrecht, the Netherlands