Re: Marked addEventListenerNS and removeEventListenerNS At Risk

On Sep 12, 2009, at 7:02 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Anne van Kesteren
> <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 23:39:58 +0200, Jonas Sicking
>> <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>>>
>>> Finally, it doesn't seem like namespaced events even solves a real
>>> problem. If you want to avoid naming conflicts you can call your
>>> events "com.example.www.myEvent", or even
>>>
>>> "http://www.example.com/myEventsNameSpace/applications/mail/emailReceived
>>> ".
>>
>> The latter would actually not work due to the NCName restrictions,
>> though
>> maybe that should be removed too to make this possible.
>
> Yeah, that seems like a good idea.
>
> For the record, I think I should fess up to being an advocate for the
> namespaced methods way back when we discussed it in Oslo in 2006. I
> believe Maciej was advocating for nuking the namespaced methods. I now
> believe that he was right and I was wrong :)

For the record - I still think the namespaced event methods should be
nuked from orbit. They add nontrivial complexity to all event
processing, don't solve any real problems, and aren't needed to
support any existing Web content. I don't think we should make
browsers implement them just because they might be used in some non-
Web contexts. +1 for killing them off.

  - Maciej