Re: addEventListener naming

On Sep 13, 2009, at 2:01 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 13:59:31 +0200, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi
>> >
>> wrote:
>>> I agree with Jonas. I wouldn't want to see listen() and unlisten()
>>> added to the spec.
>>
>> Agreed. I'd rather we have a much tighter focus on getting better
>> interoperability on DOM Level 2 Events and document more of what is
>> already implemented (e.g. key events) than spend time on adding new
>> features that only have marginal benefit.
>
> The main reason I'd recommend against adding aliases is that the Web
> platform is already huge and complicated. Adding an alias only adds a
> potential new source of bugs, it doesn't add any new features; this
> therefore just leads to more complexity in the platform. Even if the
> browsers manage to implement this flawlessly, it's still just more to
> explain when writing the platform's reference book.

I wouldn't rule out ever adding friendly shorter aliases (I feel less
strongly about this than Jonas), but I think DOM3 Events is not the
time to do so. We need to cut unimplemented features, tighten up the
spec language, and ship this puppy. It's already way behind. Maybe we
should start assembling a wishlist for DOM4 Events.

Regards,
Maciej