Re: What is the status of window object and such?

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 14:48, Chris Moschini wrote:
> > From: "Brad Pettit" <bradp@microsoft.com>
> > The AbstractView object is accessible through the
> > document, and the document is accessible through an
> > AbstractView.
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-DOM-Level-2-Views-20001113/views.html
>
> 1) Agreed, though this text in the definition obscures what exactly a View is:
>
> ====
> A document may have one or more "views" associated with it, e.g., a computed view on a document after applying a CSS stylesheet
> ====
>
> Try to mend this with:
>
> ====
> There is at most one viewport per canvas, but user agents may render to more than one canvas (i.e., provide different views of the same document).
> ====
> - http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html
>
> What then is a "View?" Does this mean there is in fact a Document, a connected set of Canvases, and for each Canvas an AbstractView and DocumentView? If so - where is the definition of Canvas?

A canvas is a screen area which had been prepared to receive painting.
An HTML document, and its associated DOM tree, could be displayed in
more than one canvas but it doesn't make sense to paint the same HTML
document on the same canvas. The View could be a Canvas (and in fact, is
a Canvas in IE/Netscape-like browsers) but not necessarely: a voice
browser will never display the document but stil provide a View of it
using voice.

> 2) This is stating the obvious but AbstractView has no definition besides its relationship to DocumentView (meaning basically, it is a sibling to Document). If AbstractView in fact represents the window object, shouldn't there be a "View" (presumably the implementation of "Abstract"View) and some properties underneath it, such as height and width?

AbstractView is meant to address to be the base of all possible views:
VisualView, VoiceView, etc. and it does not imply height and width. You
probably want to have a look at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-DOM-Level-3-Views-20001115/views-formatting.html

As of today, we still don't have plans to move further DOM Level 3 Views
and Formatting since we didn't get enough interest on the draft.

Philippe